RL Update Manager Block for Moodle 2.7
RL Update Manager Block
The Remote Learner Update Manager block is designed to give site administrators some control over the automatic update process. These updates are for bug fixes and point releases, e.g., Moodle 2.3.1.
The primary purposes for the RL Update Manager block are to:
- Notify the administrator of the next scheduled update.
- Allow automatic updates to be turned off.
- Allow a preferred update time to be configured.
- Send update notifications to a list of email addresses.
- Allow the scheduled date and time to be changed.
- Provide a log of old update operations.
Once the block has been added to your site it can be added to the home page. On the home page go to the Settings block and turn editing on. Then using the 'Add a block' block add the RL Update Manager block. In the following image the block has been added to the site already. Only site administrators will be able to see the block.
The block displays the date and time of the next scheduled update for the site, or displays a no updates scheduled message. There are two links within the block, Settings and Schedule. The Settings link allows you to edit settings for the block. The Schedule link allows you to view/change scheduled updates and view previous updates.
The Settings link opens a page of settings for the block. The following settings are on the page:
- Enable - Select the Enable check box to enable the RL Update Manager block and turn off automatic updates.
- Update Block Start - Use the drop down menus to select a time for the start of the maintenance period when updates can be performed.
- Update Block End - Use the drop down menus to select a time for the end of the maintenance period when updates can be performed.
- Notify on success - Check this to send email notifications for successful updates. If left unchecked notifications will only be sent when an error occurs during an update or an update is more than one hour old and hasn't been performed yet.
- Recipients - Email addresses of users who should receive notifications.
The schedule page will list all currently scheduled updates and all previous updates. Each scheduled update will display:
- Update period
- Scheduled time
- Change link
Select the Change link to change the scheduled time. A pop-up window will open with the interface for changing the scheduled time. Select a new date and time and then select the Save changes button.
The new date and time will be listed as the Scheduled time period and the former time will be the Default time period.
Each previous update will display:
- Update period.
- Schedule time and Default time if there is one. There is only a default time if there was a change made to the scheduled time.
- Status - Not processed, In progress, Completed, Error, Skipped, or Canceled.
- Log with update details. Access to the log of previous updates should help with troubleshooting and verification purposes.
- Email notifications that were sent are listed at the end of the log.