ELIS 1.9 Manual
In ELIS 1.9, cluster leaders* are replaced by the Cluster Reporter. This gives access to many more reports, in a much more scalable manner.
The Cluster Reporter role described below now gives a user access to reports for a cluster of users, as provided for by the old cluster leader setting. A major advantage of the new method is that many more reports are now available to the Cluster Reporter role - they only see the data for users in their own cluster; they can see this data on all of the ELIS reports below:
- Curricula Report
- Course Completion by Cluster Report
- Individual Course Progress Report
- Individual User Report
- New Registrants by Student Report
- Non-starter Report
- Sitewide Time Summary Report
- Sitewide Transcript Report
Creating a Cluster Reporter RoleTo create a new role go to the Site Administration block > Users > Permissions > Define roles > and select the Add a new role button at the bottom of the page. Assign a name and shortname for the new role.
Then scroll to the permissions, ELIS Reports section. One permission is allowed for this role:
- View ELIS reports - block/php_report:view
Save the role when finished by selecting the Add a new role button at the bottom of the page.
Assigning the Role in Clusters
Now assign the role to a user in a cluster or sub-cluster. This example is demonstrating a user being assigned the role at the cluster level. Go to the Roles tab of the cluster to assign a user the role.
The link opens a screen of users to add to the role.
- Choose a user and
- Select the Assign roles button at the bottom of the page.
When the user assigned the role logs in, they will be able to access reports for the cluster, sub-clusters of the cluster, and users of the cluster and sub-cluster.
The following image shows the Course Completion by Cluster Report filter, the user can generate a report for the cluster they are assigned the Cluster Report role in, and for the sub-cluster.
The next example shows the Individual User Report, the user may generate a report for users of the cluster and the sub-cluster. In the image below Mary is assigned the Cluster Reporter role. Bob Jetson, George, Wilma, and Fred are assigned to the sub-cluster of the cluster. Bob Parker is assigned to the cluster.
Assigning the Role in Sub-clusters
When this role is only assigned at the sub-cluster level and not the parent cluster level, the permission "view clusters" may need to be enabled for the role. If the role doesn't have the additional permission, the sub-clusters will not be shown in the cluster drop down menus of report filters.
This role will be called the Sub-Cluster Reporter, it will have two permissions enabled:
- View Clusters and
- View ELIS reports.
Note the difference in capabilities between this role and the previous role. This role enables a user to navigate to the cluster they are assigned the role in via the Curriculum Administration block.
- The Users link is available when the "View clusters" permission is enabled.
- The Manage Clusters link will open the Manage Cluster screen. Only the parent cluster is visible in this example. I selected the parent cluster, then went to the Sub-clusters tab, and selected the sub-cluster shown by #3. Note that when viewing the parent cluster, the Users tab was not available.
- This is the sub-cluster the user is assigned the role in, they can view the sub-cluster detail, sub-clusters of the sub-cluster, or users of the sub-cluster.
Next this user will generate a Course Completion by Cluster Report. The following image is showing the report filter.
- The user can see the parent cluster in the filter when selecting a cluster from the cluster drop down menu. If the user generates a report for the parent cluster there will be no data, because they do not have "view ELIS report" permission for the parent cluster.
- The user can also see the sub-cluster where they are assigned the Sub-Cluster Reporter role. If the user generates a report for this sub-cluster, the report will be generated with data for the users of the sub-cluster.
Without the "view cluster" permission being enabled for this role:
- The sub-clusters will not be visible in the cluster drop down windows in report filters. This is because the user is only assigned the reporter role at the sub-cluster level, and the parent cluster has to be visible to see the sub-cluster in the drop downs.
- The reports that filter by users, not clusters, will work the same way - the user only has access to users of the sub-cluster they are assigned the role in.
- The data generated by the reports will be the same, the permission just allows the user to select the sub-cluster from the drop down menu in report filters.
*The cluster leader setting was a legacy of the old ELIS, and has been replaced by the new organizational context system, which enables actual role assignments in ELIS clusters (as well as in curricula, courses, tracks, and classes).