ELIS 1.9 Manual
Site-Wide Time Summary Report
The following image show the report filters screen. There are no required entries for this report.
The "Show Advanced" button enables you to filter the report by any user fields, as well as custom user fields. The next image is showing the first couple entries for the advanced filter.
- Click the "Show Advanced" button to show the advanced filtering interface.
- You can filter both negatively and positively on the report.
The standard filters for this report are as follows:
- Full name - filter for a specific user or search a group of users based on the drop-down menu selections.
- View users in this organizational clusters - a cluster can be selected to see a group of users by cluster.
- Select the Start Date and End Date for this report - set a date range to generate the report from. These options can be used together or individually.
- "is after" - time summary for users after the selected date.
- "is before" - time summary for users before the selected date.
- Never included -
The first report example below was generated from the report options shown in the image above. No user or cluster was filtered for, therefore all users on the site were included. A date range of January 1, 2011 to June 28, 2011 was entered and the report was segmented by weeks (weekly totals with daily daily time counts).
The second report example was generated from the same report options above, except the segment option. This report was segmented using Months.
Explanation of Report Data:
- Student Name - user.
- Year- Calendar year data was generated from.
- Course Name- name of courses student is enrolled in. Only courses in which the users have spent time during the specified time frame are included in the report.
- Class ID number - ELIS class ID number.
- Sun, Mon, Tues, Wed, Thurs, Fri, Sat - time spent each day in that ELIS class.
- Total Time- time summary totals are given for each class each week and all the classes in each week.
Image 1: Site-wide Time Summary Report segmented by week.
Image 2: Site-wide Time Summary Report segmented by month.
To change report options, click on the "Configure Parameters" icon located in the upper left hand corner of the report.
To schedule the report to run at specific time(s) in the future, select the "Schedule Reports" icon in the upper right hand corner of the report. For details on setting report parameters when scheduling reports, please see: http://rlcommunity.remote-learner.net/mod/book/view.php?id=1&chapterid=15471
The report can be exported in PDF or CSV format. To export the report, select either the "Download PDF" or "Download CSV" icons located in the upper right hand corner of the report. The report will download locally to your computer.
Report data can be updated automatically, without needing to go back to the report parameters, by clicking the "Refresh" button located at the bottom center of the report page.
Limitations of this report
Video, PDF, etc:
This report works by checking the Moodle logs as described above. Some student activities are not recorded by the Moodle logs, such as watching a video or reading a long Acrobat document, the time spent on these actions may not be recorded accurately.
How well the report works with SCORM objects will depend on the design of the SCORM object.
Some content authoring software like Captivate and Articulate, are designed to automatically call the API with every new page to which a user advances - this will be recorded by the Moodle log and work with the report, however if a user spends more than 5 minutes on a page in the SCORM, then the time may not be accurate. Other software may only call the API when a user begins the SCORM package and then again when the user ends the package. In the latter case, if the total time is more than 5 minutes, the time beyond 5 minutes would not beconsidered a part of the session and not counted by the Time Summary report. Slow Internet connections or a glitch in the Internet connection can also cause a failure to call the API.
Organizations that rely on the data contained in the SiteWide Time Summary report should take care in choosing a SCORM authoring tool and run a test module in Moodle before purchasing SCORM authoring software, as well as designing their SCORM objects to work well with the report.
Remote-Learner's expert Instructional Design team can assist with the decision as well as the course design.