ELIS Files Learning Object Repository 2.0 Manual
Working with Categories in Alfresco
Alfresco: Creating and Assigning Categories
An Alfresco category can be thought of as a tag for classifying content and making that content searchable in the future. To create a category the user must have the role of Administrator. However, users with the role of admin, editor, collaborator, or coordinator role for the content can add categories to content. Follow these steps to create a category and assign a category to content.
- Login as the ELIS Files administrator (username and password located on your Plugins:Repositories:ELIS Files page) and click the Administration console link.
- Click on the "Category Management" link.
- In the Categories section you will see a list of your current categories.
- You can use the edit and delete icons -click the edit icon (the one with the pencil) to edit a category, click the delete icon (the one with the trashcan) to delete a category.
- Click the Add Category link to create a new category.
In the Category Management window, click the Add Category icon.
- Add the name of the Category (and description if desired).
- Click the New Category button.
- Name the new Category
- Give it an optional description
- Click the New Category button to create the new category.
Assigning Categories to Content
Go to the content that will be categorized and select the View Details link.
Go to the Category section and select the Allow Categorization link.
Select the Change Category icon on the right side of the category section to add/edit a category link.
The next section will require 3 selections to choose the category.
- Choose the Select button
- Choose the Click here to select a Category link
- Choose the + symbol next to the category that should be added
Once the category has been selected, choose the Add to List button.
Select the OK button on the right hand side of the page when the categories have been added.
Content can be searched for by category when using an Advanced Search. The search section can be found in the upper right hand corner of the screen in Alfresco. The following image demonstrates how to access the advanced search feature.
- Select the search Options icon or the arrow next it to open a menu of choices
- Select the Advanced Search link from the bottom of the list
The category section is located on the bottom left hand corner of the screen, select the Click here to choose a Category link.
- Select the + symbol to the right of categories that should be added
- Select the Add to List button
Select the Search button to complete the search.