ELIS 2.0 Manual
Organizational User Sets
User Set Leader/Reporter
In ELIS 1.9, Cluster leaders* are replaced by the Cluster Reporter. This gives access to many more reports, in a much more scalable manner. In ELIS 2.0, the Cluster Reporter is now the User Set Reporter.
The User Set Reporter role described below now gives a user access to reports for a user set of users. A major advantage of the new method is that many more reports are now available to the User Set Reporter role - they only see the data for users in their own user set; they can see this data on all of the ELIS reports below:
- Programs Report
- Course Completion by User Set Report
- Individual Course Progress Report
- Individual User Report
- New Registrants by Student Report
- Non-starter Report
- Sitewide Time Summary Report
- Sitewide Transcript Report
Creating a User Set Reporter Role
To create a new role go to the Settings block > Site Administration > Users > Permissions > Define roles > and select the Add a new role button at the bottom of the page. Assign a name and short name for the new role.
Then scroll to the permissions, ELIS Report section. One permission is allowed for this role:
- View ELIS reports - block/php_report:view
Save the role when finished by selecting the Add a new role button at the bottom of the page.
Assigning the Role in User Sets
Now assign the role to a user in a user set or user sub-set. This example is demonstrating a user being assigned the role in a user set, ACME Software. Go to the Roles tab of the user set and select the role to be assigned from the Name column.
Once the link to the role is selected a screen opens with a list of users to add to the role.
- Select the Unassigned link
- Select the user to assign the role to
- Select the Assign roles button at the bottom of the page.
When the user assigned the role logs in, they will be able to access reports for the user set, user sub-sets of the user set, and users of the user set and user sub-sets.
The following image shows the Course Completion by User Set Report filter, the user can generate a report for the user set they are assigned the User Set Report role in, and for the 2 user sub-sets as well.
The next example shows the Individual User Report, the user may generate a report for users of the user set and the user sub-sets. In the image below Steve Zissou is assigned the User Set Reporter role. The other users listed are either in the ACME Software user set or one of its user sub-sets.
Assigning the Role in User Sub-Sets
When this role is only assigned at the user sub-set level and not the parent user set level, the permission "view user set" may need to be enabled for the role. If the role doesn't have the additional permission, the user sub-sets will not be shown in the user set drop down menus of report filters.
This role will be called the User Sub-Set Reporter, it will have two permissions enabled:
- View ELIS reports - block/php_report:view
- View User Sets - elis/program:userset_view
Note the difference in capabilities between this role and the previous role. This role enables a user to navigate to the user set they are assigned the role in via the Program Management block.
- The Users > Manage User Sets link is available when the "View User Set" permission is enabled.
- The Manage User Set link will open the Manage User Set screen. Only the parent user set will be visible on the screen. Selecting the parent user set will open a screen where the user sub-set can be linked to from the User Sub-Set tab. Note that when viewing the parent user set, the Users tab will not be available. It will only be available in the user sub-set the user is assigned the role in.
Next this user will generate a Course Completion by User Set Report. The following image is showing the report filter.
- The user can see the parent user set in the filter when selecting a user set from the user set drop down menu. If the user generates a report for the parent user set there will be no data, because they do not have "view ELIS report" permission for the parent user set.
- The user can also see the user sub-set where they are assigned the User Sub-Set Reporter role. If the user generates a report for this user sub-set, the report will be generated with data for the users of the user sub-set.
Without the "View User Set" permission being enabled for this role:
- The user sub-sets will not be visible in the user set drop down windows in report filters. This is because the user is only assigned the reporter role at the user sub-set level, and the parent user set has to be visible to see the user sub-set in the drop downs.
- The reports that filter by users, not user sets, will work the same way - the user only has access to users of the user sub-set they are assigned the role in.
*The cluster leader setting was a legacy of the old ELIS, and has been replaced by the new organizational context system, which enables actual role assignments in ELIS user sets (as well as in programs, courses, tracks, and classes).