Alfresco for Moodle 2.3
ELIS File Repository Settings
To access the Repository Settings page, click the ELIS Files link in the Plugins/Repositories menu.
Name and service connection settings:
- You can enter a new name in here, and this will be displayed instead of the default name "ELIS Files" in the interface.
- These settings are the settings for connecting to the Alfresco Repository. They will be set up by Remote-Learner support and there should be no reason to change them. If your Repository Connection is not working correctly, please open a support ticket.
File Transfer Setting:
Standard transfer (upload/download) of files in Moodle is done via HTTP (hyper text transfer protocol). This works OK for small files. The FTP protocol was designed for large files and faster transfer. By using the FTP transfer method, large files and/or large numbers of files can be uploaded much more quickly. There should be no reason to switch from the default settings unless you are externally hosting (not hosting with Remote-Learner) and port 21 is blocked.
- File transfer method selector. Currently the choices are FTP and Web services (HTTP).
- FTP port - 21 should be used for Remote-Learner hosting. If you are running the Alfresco Integration on your own servers, then check with your network administrator for the proper setting here. Check with Remote-Learner support before changing these settings.
Connection Timeout and Response Timeout:
The following two settings are available in ELIS 18.104.22.168+, ELIS 22.214.171.124+, and ELIS 126.96.36.199+. The settings allow administrators to modify connection and response timeout values.
- Connection Timeout
- Response Timeout
Repository browsing/searching settings:
- Click this to configure the search categories (see below).
- Click this to set the root browsing folder. For most uses, the default /moodle folder is the best setting.
Categories are meant to facilitate searching. For example if you have multiple files with the word 'rules' in the files, but you want to find only files with that word that are used in the context of compliance with policy, you can create a 'Compliance Policy' category in Alfresco, then when searching for files you can search for the keyword "rules" and filter the search to only show results in the Compliance Policy Alfresco category.
When you click the Configure category filter button, you will see a screen showing you your available categories in Alfresco.
- Select the categories and sub-categories you want to be displayed on the the Advanced Search interface.
- Save changes to save your settings.
The categories here are set in Alfresco:
- List of Categories
- To remove a category from Alfresco click the trash icon. To edit the category, click the edit icon
- Use the Add Category link to add a new category in Alfresco
Now when your users search, they will see the categories and can filter by them in the Advanced Search interface in Moodle.
If you don't see your Alfresco Categories in Moodle, or you have edited/added categories in Alfresco, click the Reset categories button.
For more detailed instructions on editing categories, see the documentation below on Managing Alfresco.
File Management Settings:
- This displays your Moodle file cache setting. This setting will affect how long it takes users to see a new version of a file when they have already viewed the old version.
- Quota - Alfresco will impose a file storage quota on users if you activate it here. For example if you want all your users to have a 100MB quota, you can select that value here and save changes.
- This setting will remove a user's files from Alfresco when the user is deleted from Moodle.
- ELIS files includes method of setting the default browsing location for files. The site admin can set the default folder for users. If this is set, then when users upload files or view files in the ELIS files repository, they will start at the default folder (if they have permission to view it).
When a user opens up the file browser, the first folder they open is this default setting. For example, in the figure below, the administrator has set "ELIS user files" as the default file browsing location. Now when a user opens up the "Insert Image" or "Insert Link" window, the default location is their own file folder in the repository.
- When the default file location is set to ELIS User Files, when a user opens the File Picker, they see their own user space in Alfresco.
- There is a filter to help search repository files if there a many files.
- The Jump to... menu will list the other ELIS spaces the user has permission to see.
Setting the ELIS Files Administrator username:
In most cases, there is no reason to change the default setting here. It is a good idea to check with Remote-Learner support before doing so.
Note: Once ELIS Files is set up you will have to log out and log back in before ELIS Files will appear in the File Picker window. The authorization ELIS Files SSO also needs to be enabled before files can be uploaded to ELIS Files.